The World Health Organisation is celebrating World No Tobacco Day on May 31 each year and run different initiatives and campaigns by their effective policies related to the life-taking risks associated with the consumption of Tobacco and smoking as it has many scary reasons irrespective of the easy-going habit by almost 40% men and 9% women worldwide. Some of them are presented for you here. Have a look: –
- Intake of each cigarette can reduce your life span up to 11 minutes and the calculation of the overall consumption till date can still terrify you.
- If you are a smoker, then chances are there you can die 13 to 14 years earlier than any non-smokers.
The Smoke of the cigarette contains more than 48,000 chemicals, 69 of which are known to cause cancer. The chemicals include arsenic used in rat poison, tar used for paving road, nicotine used as insecticide and cadmium which is used as an active component in battery acid.
- Not only cancer, the other health issues association with the cigarette smoking are infertility, eye disease something leading to blindness, heart diseases, pneumonia, different cancers like lung, mouth, throat, kidney, stomach and pancreatic.
After hypertension, smoking is the second reason of death globally to an estimate of 6 lakhs every year.
- According to the 2012 WHO Global report, in India itself, over 10 lakhs people die every year from tobacco-related diseases which holds approximately 35% of the population.
- Another report of the WHO says that about one-third killed worldwide includes children who are exposed to the smoke at home.
Not only health and happiness, it makes a hole on your pocket too, as if your cigarette cost between Rs 15-17 and you smoke 5 cigarettes in a day than you spend Rs 75 daily or Rs 2,250 monthly or Rs 27,000 a year by just having 5 cigarettes a day.
- A non-smoker saves his money by paying a less premium for health and life insurance than a smoker as insurance companies charge more from the smokers due to health related risks associated with tobacco consumption.