one-plus-6_truecolumnTechnology 

Strange! OnePlus surpassed Samsung, Apple in India’s premium smartphone market

With not much surprise, the Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus has surpassed the leading smartphone maker Samsung and Apple in the second quarter of 2018.

In the premium segment smartphone, OnePlus 6 emerged as the king followed by the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, OnePlus 5T, iPhone 8 and iPhone X series.

Tarun Pathak, Associate Director of Counterpoint research said, “India remains an important market for OnePlus, contributing to almost a third of its global revenue. Furthermore, with every flagship, the OnePlus user base has been growing in India and this has now started translating into record sales for every new flagship it launches”.

As per the counterpoint research, the premium smartphone market grew by 19 per cent annually and 10 percent during the second quarter of 2018.

Due to decrease in the shipment of S9 compared to S8 last year, Samsung dropped to 25% yearly in the India’s premium smartphone market but Samsung Galaxy S9+ and Apple iPhone 8 series added to the volumes for both the companies.

According to Pathak, Apple is struggling hard in the Indian Market as sales drop to 14 per cent in the premium segment due to the decline in the shipment of the smartphone.

He said, “Apple has a mere 2 per cent share of smartphone shipments in Indian Market. The remaining 98% has been becoming deeply entrenched in the Android ecosystem”.

Apple iPhones have become costlier in the last couple of years as bulk of the leading smartphone vendors are manufacturing their smartphones in India to comply to local “Make In India” regulations which has now higher import duties if you just import and don’t manufacture your phones in India”.

Collectively, the top three brands ruling the market are Samsung, OnePlus and Apple accounting for 88% of the overall premium market as compared to 95% a quarter ago due to the entry of new players like Huawei, Vivo, Nokia HMD (Nokia 8 Sirocco) and LG.

Related posts

3 Thoughts to “Strange! OnePlus surpassed Samsung, Apple in India’s premium smartphone market”

  1. […] has announced to launch its 5G smartphone with its OnePlus 7 soon by the end of May 2019 while Huawei has already showcased its 5G smartphone at MWC by this year. Xiaomi, Oppo and Vivo is […]

  2. […] relying on cellular data. However, for the other android smartphones including Xiaomi, Sony, Vivo, OnePlus, HMD Global and Oppo, Google will soon receive this update by end of the […]

  3. […] One of the biggest competitor of One-Plus smartphones, Xiaomi Poco F1 is available for the open sale in India now but the only model that will go on sale is 64GB RAM/ 128GB storage capacity that costs Rs 23,999. […]

Leave a Comment